What to Bring
What to Bring to Willowdale?
Everyone likes to be prepared and to appear as if they are organized. However these days are very busy what with tweeting and Facebook, etc. So here’s a check list to help you get to Willowdale with everything you’ll need to enjoy the day.
- First check the weather forecast. Beautiful weather -- plan to soak up the sun in your chair or on a blanket. Rain – wear your wellies, poncho and a hat. The races run rain or shine and attending is always fun regardless of the weather if you are prepared.
- Pack hats (elegant for ladies; serviceable for men; adorable for children), sunscreen, insect repellent, maybe an umbrella (just in case.) Don’t forget to visit the boutiques in the big tent to find all sorts of lovely things you can’t do without.
- Tickets and Hangtag: Be sure your reserved parking hangtag is displayed and you have a ticket for each person in your vehicle. Children under age 12 are free and don’t need a ticket. If you are parking in the General Admission lot, parking is free and no hangtag is required. Be sure to get a race day program as you enter the grounds. Note: the walk up the hill from General Admission parking is a bit steep. Some people bring a wagon to transport kids and/or picnics. Visit www.willowdale.org to see the course map and locations of all activities.
- Four legged Friends: If you bring Fido, be sure to keep him on a leash, bring water and treats and please bring some clean up items so no one has to step into a mess!
- Grandma and Grandpa: By all means bring the whole family. You’ll see many three generation groups. Be sure to bring plenty of comfortable folding chairs suitable for all family members. Remember, no canopies or tents. They spoil the view of your fellow parking space-holders.
Grill: No, leave at home. No fires are permitted.
- Bring a picnic, either fancy or plain, or get takeout from your favorite deli or plan to visit all the great food vendors at Willowdale to make it a truly relaxing day.
- Camera: There’ll be lots of interesting things to photograph so snap away.
- Water and Libations: A day outdoors will make you very thirsty. Be sure to bring plenty of water and soft drinks. Favorite libations are allowed; just remember, it’s a family event. No glass containers please.
- Most important. Have a wonderful time, enjoy the beautiful countryside, the friendly people and congratulate yourself for being so organized.
General Admission Tickets are still available for $25 at the ticket outlets listed below, and will be available on race day at the gate for $30.
- Brandywine Ace Pet & Farm
- Dover Saddlery
- Hoods BBQ
- Landhope Farms - Rte 82 and Rte 273 Stores
- Neuchatel Chocolates
- Northbrook Marketplace
- Outback Trading Co.
- Oxford Feed and Grains
- Ruby Slippers
- Stoltzfus Feed and Lumber
- That's Hats and Accessories
- Unionville Saddle Shop
- Vignette by LE Walker
- Wild Tyme
Please call the
Willowdale Steeplechase office
at 610-444-1582 for information
about available parking spaces.
Save These Dates!
March 9th Willowdale Steeplechase Preview and Mardi Gras Party at the Yellow House. Jimmy Duffy is providing the catering so the food will be fabulous. There will be great auction items, music, wine and New Orleans Hurricanes. Tickets are $75 per person. Patrons who renew their steeplechase parking prior to March 4 receive on complimentary ticket.
April 20th for the first annual “Shop Around Town Saturday”. Willowdale Steeplechase is partnering with local retailers in Kennett Square, West Chester, Glen Mills and Greenville, DE to encourage our patrons to shop for their Mother’s Day gifts and race day outfits on “Shop Around Town Saturday”. Participating retailers will help promote the races and will give away one complimentary ticket to the races to each person who spends $100 or more at their store.
May 12th for the 21st running of The Willowdale Steeplechase. The Mother’s Day tradition continues with seven exciting horse races, Jack Russell Terrier and Pony Races, antique cars, boutique shopping, tailgate competition and much more. Reserved tailgate parking spaces are available for purchase after February 1.